Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Back to school, back to school to prove to Dad....

Back to school. Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight. Ohhhh, back to school. Back to school. Back to school. Well, here goes nothing. (Billy Madison, 1995)  One of the best movies EVER!  Love Adam Sandler!

My oldest started his first day of grade one today.  *sigh*  How did my sweet, chunky monkey grow up so quickly that he's now in grade one??  When I asked him last night how he got to be such a big boy, he matter of factly told me "Mom, I had my birthday when I turned six (as he held up 5 fingers, ummmm), then I got to be a big boy" Ohhhh,
right.

This morning the kids were getting their shoes on and Jonathan was trying to break the news gently to Thomas and Chloe that he won't be with them all day.  He sat them down in the front hall and had this conversation with them:

Jonathan: Tom and Chlo, I'm in grade one now so I won't be at daycare all day.
Chloe: Huh?
Jonathan: I'm in grade one and will be at school all day, so you won't
see me at Ann's house.
Chloe: Me go school too?
Jonathan: No Chlo, you are too much little (hmmm, maybe I should have
spent a tad bit more time working on his vocabulary and sentence
structure this summer, meh.)
Thomas: Yay school!
Jonathan: No Tom!  You have to go to Ann's house and I will be going
to school, I'm big now.
Thomas: Me wan cool
Jonathan: Not yet Tom, when you are bigger.
Thomas: Me a big boy!
Jonathan: No Tom, you are a baby.  Next year you can go to school and
you will be in Mrs. Beaten's class.  I'll be eating my lunch at school
so you won't see me at all.
Chloe: Me alk cool?]
Jonathan: NO CHLO!  Moooooommmmm, Chloe keeps asking if she can walk to school….
Me: Chloe, Tomorrow you will walk Jonathan to school with Ann and your
other friends at daycare.
Thomas:  Yay!
Chloe: Humph.

I think they took it well, or who knows, they may not even know who Jonathan is when he gets home tonight…..

I have hopes and dreams for this school year; to have beautiful conversations with Jonathan about his day where he tells me every detail whether small or big about his school adventures and to not say to me "I don't know, I can't remember".  While we are doing his homework, he will ask if he can do more math problems and tells me he wants to be a doctor and the Prime Minister of Canada.  That he will know how to read by this Friday and will read to Kill a Mockingbird by the end of the month.

And my final dream for this school year; to avoid illnesses as much as possible.  I may or may not have scared him last night by telling him to keep his hands away from his face, not to touch anyone or anything,
not to put his fingers in his mouth and wash his hands ALL the time because that is HOW you get sick and you could throw up.  "Night Night sweetie, have a good sleep."  (he did have a petrified look on his face, but hey, if that will keep those nasty germs out of his mouth, then I say I did a good job)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Any comment is appreciated :)